[maemo-users] Quick review of the Nokia 770

Hi,

Am Mittwoch, den 22.03.2006, 01:16 +0100 schrieb Lionel Dricot (aka
Ploum):
> On 3/21/06, Danny Milosavljevic <danny.milo at gmx.net> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Am Sonntag, den 19.03.2006, 23:05 +0100 schrieb Lionel Dricot (aka
> > Ploum):
> > Comments about the wiki page:
> >
> > > **Suggestion : make the hardware home key acts as a shift key when in
> > keyboarding mode**
> >
> > Having strange second uses for well-defined hardware keys doesn't sound
> > like a good idea. What about putting the dot on the same mode (side) as
> > the numbers instead ;)
>
> well, not as default of course. but it would be so easy and
> convenient! the shift key is far left, wich is very difficult for my
> right hand.

Yes, but what about putting the dot on the same page on the virtual
keyboard?

As in:

(on the right side of the shifted virtual keyboard:)

1 2 3
4 5 6
7 8 9
- 0 .

I dont see at all what the equals sign is for (that was at the slot
before) when entering numbers... then again, maybe it's just me.

Just thinking aloud :)

> [...]

> > > Why can't I have access to the MMC card when USB is plugged ?
> >
> > You (actually your PC) _has_ access to the MMC card, I thought that was
> > the whole point (apart from for flashing)
>
> but why is concurrent access not possible?

Well, two drivers accessing the same hardware at the same time is just
calling for trouble, I'd guess...
heh, David D Hagood completely explains it in his follow-up mail, I
see :)

> > > Why can't I have access to the system memory ?
> >
> > As in RAM? or as in user-useable flash? I guess the latter uses a
> > filesystem type MsWindows does't know (if you use that, just guessing
> > here) - not that I tried, actually I'd just scp it over the net and
> > spare myself all the work of plugging
> > usb/mounting/copying/unmounting/unplugging :)
>
> I'm using Ubuntu only ;-) Ispeak of course about the user flash.

No idea then - not that I ever tried accessing it, as I said I just do
the stuff the lazy way - via the WLAN :)

> > > The whole email reader is simple and efficient. It just takes too long
> > to start and why the hell does it sort mail in chronological order
> > *BEFORE* sorting them in anti-chronological order like I want ?  It
> > would be better to simply load, at first, the last twenty emails so I
> > can already browse them.
> >
> > I don't quite follow you... you mean it doesn't scroll to the end of the
> > list (= newest posts) by default when app is started?
> >
> > Reversing the well-known chronological order of
> > newer-things-are-below-older-thing to something else doesn't seem to
> > make sense to me (think about it, even a Terminal has newest entries at
> > the bottom...)
> >
> > Or did I misunderstand you?
>
> I put newer mail above (anti-chronological order). but when I start
> the mail reader, he reads all mail once and display them in
> chronological order before redisplaying them as I want. quite a waste
> of ressources...

I see... so you mean it first displays and formats everything
order and does that _again_, taking time x :) baad...

> [...]

> > > Voice recorder: Still missing. I hope to see something so I can record
> > my ideas in speex or ogg format. It would be damned cool as the 770
> > already has a microphone.
> >
> > Really? might be something I'd like to try hack on... any details? can a
> > normal OSS dsp be used to read from it? :)
> >
> > I remember a talk on maemo-developers that involved an external mike
> > faintly, but nothing much about the internal one ...
>
> Tommi showed it to me at FOSDEM. it's the little hole next your power
> socket. I don't know nothing much than that ;-)

Good to know :)

> > > Terminal: Cannot live without it. The annoying bit is that the custom
> > applications are not in the $PATH. that's really annoying.
> >
> > Tommi Komulainen hinted at FOSDEM 2006 that /var/lib/install will be
> > gotten rid of soon :) there is hope...
>
> We were in the same room then :-)  but I hadn't a 770 at this time so
> I didn't understand all.

hehe, I was the guy with the (doodled) Xfce Developer name tag ;)
Must... plan... ahead .... next time (not like, "oops! the plane is
leaving to FOSDEM *runs away from work*" ;))

> [...]

> thanks you a lot for your long answer. very interesting. When typing
> this reply, I wished there was a way to lock the virtual keyboard
> open. oh, and gmail is not very 770 friendly ;-)

Hehe, mail google on that ... maybe they add a special maemo mode ...
now that would be interesting... (if the browser identifies itself
differently than on a desktop pc, that is)

cheers,
  Danny