[maemo-users] Re: [maemo-developers] Re: Installing packages in extra storage?

On 12/14/05, Michael P. Lococo <mpl22 at cornell.edu> wrote:

> > The only problem:  both 'free', '/proc/meminfo' and the little
> > status bar plug-in all report far more memory in use than I'd
> > expect to see.  I _know_ I deleted the contents of
> > /var/lib/install (as well as ~/MyDocs), and when I install new
> > programs I see my memory used go up.
>
> free and meminfo measure RAM usage.  Try df or the memory control panel to
> measure flash usage.

Of course.  But the memory control panel is the easiest to use, and it
reports the same thing.  Installing programs - like bash, for example - to
/var/lib/install causes memory usage to increase.  I can see some use
occuring, but I guess I need to run more tests.

Is there a compelling reason to reformat the card?  I haven't yet, but am
> planning to try mounting the MMC without NOEXEC and just symlinking
> /var/lib/install to a directory on the VFAT partition.  Am I doomed to
> failure?

Well, it's my understanding that VFAT is a problem - it doesn't support long
file names and I think there are other issues (I hope someone else who knows
this better chimes in).

Mike

> PS  It might be polite to move this conversation to the users list at some
> point.

Done.  I'm not sure on proper netiquette though, so be gentle ;-)

Brad.