[maemo-users] Nokia 770 NO LONGER BOOTS

>>> While online, I installed a few apps (xterm, ssh, GAIM, etc.), and
>>> tried setting my path in /home/user/.profile to include the install
>>> directory, as well as \bin and . I didn't include \sbin, but my change
>>> to .profile didn't seem to have any effect anyway.
>
> Make sure that the paths are in correct order and that you don't
> overwrite PATH, but add to it.

Is there a safer way to export paths in ash without the risks that a typo
in .profile entails?  I'm not terribly familiar with busybox, but after a
quick search of their mailing lists it seems that the most common
suggestion is to edit /etc/profile or ~/.profile.

At least the vim install guide suggests editing .profile to export paths,
so I've added a warning to the vim section of the ApplicationCatalog on
the wiki that alerts folks to the potential dangers.  If someone knows of
a safer way to do this, pipe up and I'll be happy test/document if
necessary.

Mike