Re: lvm-vdo, snapshots and cache

Il 2022-11-15 22:56 Zdenek Kabelac ha scritto:
You could try  'vg' on top of another 'vg' - however I'd not recommend
to use it this way (and it's unssuported (&unsupportable) by lvm2 in
general)

Hi Zdenek,
yeah, I would strongly avoid that outside lab testing.

IMHO I'd not recommend to combine 2 provisioning technologies - it's
already hard to resolve 'out-of-space' troubles with just one
technology...

The issue is that fast snapshots are only provided by dm-thin, meaning that lvmthin is almost mandatory for implementing a rolling/continuous snapshot scheme. And, on a more basic level, if we can not stack LVM on top of a VDO LV (in a supported manner), how can we take a snapshot of user data residing on that specific volume?

This seems a clear regression vs a separate VDO device. Am I missing something?

Caching should be already support - on VDO LV as well as on VDOPOOL LV
(both work somewhat differently).

Good, thanks for confirming. I will do some tests...
Regards.

--
Danti Gionatan
Supporto Tecnico