Re: Problem with partially activate logical volume

Try https://www.linuxsysadmins.com/recover-a-deleted-physical-volume/?amp

On 26 July 2022 09:16:32 Ken Bass <daytooner@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

(fwiw: I am new to this list, so please bear with me.)

Background: I have a very large (20TB) logical volume consisting of 3 drives. One of those drives unexpectedloy died (isn't that always the case :-)). The drive that failed happened to be the last PV. So I am assuming that there is still 2/3 of the data still intact and, to some extent, recoverable. Although, apparently the ext4 fs is not recognised.

I activated the LV partially (via -P). But running any utility on that (eg: dumpe2fs, e2fsck, ...) I get many of these  in dmesg:

"Buffer I/O error on dev dm-0, logical block xxxxxxx, async page read."  The thing is, the xxxxxxx block is on the missing drive/pv.

I have also tried some recovery software, but eventually get these same messages, and the data recovered is not really useful.

Please help! How can I get passed that dmesg error, and move on. 14TB recovered is better than 0.

TIA
ken