Re: Bypassing LVM Restrictions - RAID6 With Less Than 5 Disks

On Sat, 7 May 2022, Alex Lieflander wrote:

I don’t trust the hardware I’m running on very much, but it’s all I have to work with at the moment; it’s important that the array is resilient to *any* (and multiple) single chunk corruptions because such corruptions are likely to happen in the future.

For the last several months I’ve periodically been seeing (DM-Integrity) checksum mismatch warnings at various locations on all of my disks. I stopped using a few SATA ports that were explicitly throwing SATA errors, but I suspect that the remaining connections are unpredictably (albeit infrequently) corrupting data in ways that are more difficult to detect.

Sounds like a *great* test bed for software data integrity tools.  Don't
throw that system away when you get a more reliable one!

That sounds like a situation that btrfs with multiple copies could
handle.  Use a beefier checksum than the default crc-32 also.