Re: Running thin_trim before activating a thin pool

On Mon, Jan 31, 2022 at 06:54:48PM +0100, Gionatan Danti wrote:
> Il 2022-01-31 16:28 Demi Marie Obenour ha scritto:
> > thin_trim is a userspace tool that works on an entire thin pool, and I
> > suspect it may be significantly faster than blkdiscard of an individual
> > thin volume.  That said, what I would *really* like is something
> > equivalent to fstrim for thin volumes: a tool that works asynchronously,
> > in the background, without disrupting concurrent I/O.
>
> Are you sure that fstrim works asynchronously?
> I remember "fstrim -v /mybigdevice" tacking some time (~30s).

It’s happens online and without preventing other I/O from happening,
whereas thin_trim can only be run offline.

> > FYI, you might want to specify a full fingerprint here; short key IDs
> > are highly vulnerable to collision and preimage attacks.
>
> Yeah, it is a 15 years old signature I must decide to update ;)
> Thanks.

Might want to generate a new key while you are at it :) (especially if
the old one is weak)

--
Sincerely,
Demi Marie Obenour (she/her/hers)