Re: lvm limitations

Il 2020-09-15 23:30 Stuart D Gathman ha scritto:
My feeling is that btrfs is a better solution for the hourly snapshots.
(Unless you are testing a filesystem :-)

For fileserver duty, sure - btrfs is adequate.
For storing VMs and/or databases - no way, thinvol is much faster

Side note: many btrfs guides suggest disabling CoW fixes btrfs performance issue. Reality is that noCoW fixes them partially at best, while at the same time disabling all advanced feature (checksum, compression, etc). Snapshot automatically re-enable CoW for the overwritten data.

I find "classic" LVs a robust replacement for partitions that are easily
resized without moving data around.  I would be more likely to try
RAID features on classic LVs than thin LVs.

I agree for classical LVM.
However thinvols permit much more interesting scenario.

Regards.

--
Danti Gionatan
Supporto Tecnico