Re: lvm limitations

On Tue, 15 Sep 2020, Tomas Dalebjörk wrote:

ok, lets say that I have 10 LV on a server, and want create a thin lv
snapshot every hour and keep that for 30 days that would be 24h *
30days * 10lv = 720 lv

if I want to keep snapshot copies from more nodes, to serve a single
repository of snapshot copies, than these would easily become several
hundred thousands of lv

not sure if this is a good idea, but I guess it can be very useful in
some sense as block level incremental forever and instant recovery can
be implemented for open sourced based applications

what reflections do you have on this idea?

My feeling is that btrfs is a better solution for the hourly snapshots.
(Unless you are testing a filesystem :-)

I find "classic" LVs a robust replacement for partitions that are easily
resized without moving data around.  I would be more likely to try
RAID features on classic LVs than thin LVs.