Re: About online pvmove/lvresize on shared VG

On Thu, Jul 09, 2020 at 08:44:23AM +0800, Gang He wrote:
> > pvmove is implemented with mirroring, so that mirroring would need to be
> > replaced with something that works with concurrent access, e.g. cluster md
> > raid1.  I suspect there are better approaches than pvmove to solve the
> > broader problem.
> Sorry, I am a little confused.
> In the future, we can do online pvmove when VG is activated in shared mode?

I think it's unlikely, but possible if someone has interest.  I'd first
encourage them to think about new ways to solve the problem.

> from man page, I feel these limitations are temporary (or Not Yet Complete).

wording should probably change

> By the way, --lockopt option can help this situation? I cannot find the
> detailed description for this option in manpage.

No, lockopt is for some one-off special cases where we might need to work
around ordinary behaviors (like --nolocking.)  There's no workaround to
the problem that dm-mirror doesn't work under a shared LV.

Dave