Re: Snapshot behavior on classic LVM vs ThinLVM

Il 14-04-2017 17:23 Xen ha scritto:
A thin snapshot won't be dropped. It is allocated with the same size
as the origin volume and hence can never fill up.

Only the pool itself can fill up but unless you have some monitoring
software in place that can intervene in case of anomaly and kill the
snapshot, your system will or may simply freeze and not drop anything.

Yeah, I understand that. In that sentence, I was speaking about classic LVM snapshot.

The dilemma is:
- classic LVM snapshots have low performance (but adequate for backup purpose) and, if growing too much, snapshot activation can be problematic (especially on boot); - thin-snapshots have much better performance but does not always fail gracefully (ie: pool full).

For nightly backups, what you would pick between the two?
Thanks.

--
Danti Gionatan
Supporto Tecnico