Re: Snapshot behavior on classic LVM vs ThinLVM

Il 07-04-2017 10:19 Mark Mielke ha scritto:

I found classic LVM snapshots to suffer terrible performance. I
switched to BTRFS as a result, until LVM thin pools became a real
thing, and I happily switched back.

So you are now on lvmthin? Can I ask on what pool/volume/filesystem size?

I expect this depends on exactly what access patterns you have, how
many accesses will happen during the time the snapshot is held, and
whether you are using spindles or flash. Still, even with some attempt
to be objective and critical... I think I would basically never use
classic LVM snapshots for any purpose, ever.

Sure, but for nightly backups reduced performance should not be a problem. Moreover, increasing snapshot chunk size (eg: from default 4K to 64K) gives much faster write performance.

I more concerned about lenghtly snapshot activation due to a big, linear CoW table that must be read completely...

--
Danti Gionatan
Supporto Tecnico