Re: Somewhat offtopic: Strange umount problem ....

Rainer Krienke wrote:
Hello,

I have a problem with 3 server machines and I would as far as possible try to isolate the bug which might be related to lvm or might not be. Perhaps someone can help me where and how to look for the problem:

I am running 3 NFS and SMB servers (suse8.2; SuSE kernel 2.4.21-199, LVM 2.2.00.05) which run perfectly stable but show a strange behaviour
when rebooting the machines: The filesystems which contain user directories
cannot be umounted since the kernel claims that they are still busy. When I
switch to single user mode and run fuser -v or lsof on the mountpoints I
see no output. There are no more smb or other processes in the processlist
that might access the filesystems but nevertheless I cannot umount them.
The output of fuser -v shows only this:

                     USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
/export/user1        root     kernel mount  /export/user1

fuser -vm /export/user1 and lsof /export/user1 do not output anything.

The filesystems are xfs on top of LVM2 logical volumes which again run on
top of a md raid1 softmirror (the one and only physical vol) which is built upon a md multipath device:

xfs_fs: LVM2: md_soft_raid1: md_multipath: Fibrechannel_hardware_raid_5

Basically all of the software except for LVM2 is a "original" suse 8.2 installation.

Hi Rainer,

is your NFS-server shutting down on reboot. That's typical behaviour for an NFS-Server. Perhaps an exportfs -au is missing. Shared filesystems cannot be umounted.

Ciao
Klaus
--
Klaus Strebel