Re: [RFC] i2c: Revert back to old device naming for ACPI enumerated I2C slaves

On 08/25/2015 08:03 AM, Dustin Byford wrote:
On Mon Aug 24 13:52, Jarkko Nikula wrote:

I don't know how common ACPI enumerated I2C hwmon devices are but I guess
they exists since Dustin notices this issue and wrote "With that change,
/sys/bus/i2c/devices/i2c-0-004a, for example, became
/sys/bus/i2c/devices/i2c-PNPXXXX:xx".

I wouldn't take my particular use case as evidence they are common, or
even they really exist.  I got here because I loaded a hwmon driver
using the _DSD/PRP0001 mechanism in ACPI.  In that case, those devices
have never worked with 'sensors'  Therefore, in that context, this
change is just fixing a bug.

So does this then fall more into new use case rather than being a regression as such?

What I'm trying to understand what kind of regression we actually do have here? Is it about listing the devices or does it also cease to show for instance temperature sensor readings?

If it requires to add a match table to existing driver in order to trigger this then at least stable tree is not worry here.

--
Jarkko