Re: W83627DHG unable to load driver

On Thu, Mar 05, 2015 at 12:55:50PM -0500, Jon Torrey wrote:

> > The hardware monitoring function in the chip was not activated
> > by the BIOS.
>

> All I can see under Super IO Configuration ( inside the BIOS ) is Serial
> Port configuration along with a Parallel Port configuration.
> Would this have anything to do with ACPI?  I do see something ISA related
> when invoking lspci if that makes any difference?

No, this is a chip configuration problem.

> I have seen this on some Supermicro server boards, where
> > hardware monitoring is handled by an IPMI chip.
>

> I have an American Megatrends BIOS for an i7 processor on an embedded
> board.  I do not believe it has an IPMI chip.
>

> > Enabling the chip manually from user space is technically possible,
>
> but I would not recommend it
>

> How would I go about doing this?  I ran superiotool and got the following
> in return:
>
>  superiotool r6637
>
> Found Winbond W83627HF/F/HG/G (id=0x52, rev=0x41) at 0x2e

Yes, but its hardware monitoring functionality is still disabled.

Many possibilities: It may be a BIOS configuration bug, it might be
on purpose and there is nothing connected to the SuperIO chip's hardware
monitoring pins, or the vendor doesn't want customers to access the chip.
You might want to get in touch with the board vendor and ask.

Thanks,
Guenter