Re: i2c-i801 on AppleTV (1st gen)

On Thu, 7 Feb 2013, Jean Delvare wrote:

I would suggest the following:
# i2cdump -r 0x3d-0x4b 0 0x48 b

This should be pretty safe, as even if the chip doesn't use 8-bit
register addressing, at least we know that values in the 0x3d-0x4b
range are fine for your system.

If this is a DS75 or DS1621 chip you should see some register values.
If this is an LM73 you won't.

Then try again:
# i2cget 0 0x48
If you don't get a value in the range you expect, play it safe and
power down the machine immediately, then cold boot it.

I am trusting you blindly here ;-)

It all looks good to me (system is mostly idle):

----
root ~ # i2cdump -r 0x3d-0x4b 0 0x48 b
WARNING! This program can confuse your I2C bus, cause data loss and worse!
I will probe file /dev/i2c-0, address 0x48, mode byte
Probe range limited to 0x3d-0x4b.
Continue? [Y/n]
     0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  a  b  c  d  e  f    0123456789abcdef
30:                                        XX XX XX                 XXX
40: XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX                XXXXXXXXXXXX

root ~ # i2cget 0 0x48
WARNING! This program can confuse your I2C bus, cause data loss and worse!
I will read from device file /dev/i2c-0, chip address 0x48, current data
address, using read byte.
Continue? [Y/n]
0x4b

root ~ # gputemp
47 C
----

I tried loading lm73 and lm75. Don't seem to do anything. I will compile ds1621 in the next build.

Thanks for your persistence ;-)
--
-- dag wieers, dag@xxxxxxxxxx, http://dag.wieers.com/
-- dagit linux solutions, info@xxxxxxxxx, http://dagit.net/