Re: Please reconsider SCH5514

Hi,

On 08/13/2012 10:02 PM, Guenter Roeck wrote:
On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 11:17:55AM -0700, Norbert Schlenker wrote:
Hello,

Have you seen this: http://www.spinics.net/lists/lm-sensors/msg24621.html ?

Without having full specifications it's hard to write a driver, and signing
a NDA goes against open source (Non Disclosure Agrement <> Open Source).

Regards
Ian Dobson

Thanks for the pointer.

Email sent to Mark Hoffman asking if the driver was ever released.

I don't think so - I don't find one anywhere in the archives.

Key problem, though, is really the lack of a data sheet. Even if someone would
be able to get a data sheet under NDA, it might be impossible for that person
to publish a driver, since publishing register details (as one has to when
publishing a driver) would very likely violate the NDA.

That very much depends on the NDA, Linux driver are written based on datasheets
under NDA all of the time, it is just a matter of having both parties understand
that although the datasheet will fall under the NDA, the source of the driver
written with the help of the datasheet will not, and putting something like that
explicitly in the NDA. Note IANAL, and this is not legal advice :)

Regards,

Hans