Re: sensor 3.3.1 and previous do not properly detect/show CPUTIN temperature - maximus iv extreme Revision 3.0 motherboard

On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 07:18:46PM -0400, Martin Suchanek wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 8:30 PM, Guenter Roeck <guenter.roeck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>     On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 03:04:51PM -0400, Martin Suchanek wrote:
>     >
>     >
>     > On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 4:36 PM, Guenter Roeck <
>     guenter.roeck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>     > wrote:
>     >
>     >     On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 06:08:23AM -0400, Martin Suchanek wrote:
>     >     >
>     >     >
>     >     > On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 5:30 AM, Guenter Roeck <
>     >     guenter.roeck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>     >     > wrote:
>     >     >
>     >     >     On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 11:47:47AM +0100, Martin Suchanek
>     wrote:
>     >     >     > Hi,
>     >     >     >
>     >     >     > Add info:
>     >     >     > I have found software called open hardware monitor. I have
>     been
>     >     testing
>     >     >     it
>     >     >     > in windows for couple of days and it works properly with
>     Nuvoton
>     >     NST6776F
>     >     >     > chip. I have been comparing results with AI Suite software
>     coming
>     >     from
>     >     >     ASUS
>     >     >     > and results are corresponding and measuring is with big
>     precise. So
>     >     , you
>     >     >     > can have a look to source code and compare with your driver.
>     This
>     >     >     software
>     >     >     > should work on linux as well but I did not try it yet but I
>     will.
>     >     >     >
>     >     >     I finally had time to look into the open hardware monitor code.
>     >     >
>     >     >     The answer is quite simple - the board get the CPU temperature
>     using
>     >     PECI,
>     >     >     which the w83627ehf/nct67765 driver reports is as "PECI Agent
>     0".
>     >     >     Open Hardware Monitor maps that temperature into the CPU
>     temperature
>     >     >     display
>     >     >     and ignores CPUTIN. Which makes sense, since the purpose of
>     PECI is
>     >     >     report
>     >     >     the CPU temperature.
>     >     >
>     >     >     So all you need to do is to ignore the value of CPUTIN and use
>     the
>     >     "PECI
>     >     >     Agent 0"
>     >     >     temperature instead.
>     >     >
>     >     >
> [...]
Well, for my part I don't think I can help you any further. The driver reports
what it gets from the chip. The driver source is public. If you say that the driver
has a bug, feel free to dig through the driver and try to find it. I'll be more
than happy to accept patches.

Thanks,
Guenter