Re: sensor 3.3.1 and previous do not properly detect/show CPUTIN temperature - maximus iv extreme Revision 3.0 motherboard

On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 03:04:51PM -0400, Martin Suchanek wrote:

> [...]
>     >
>     >
>     > On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 5:30 AM, Guenter Roeck <
>     guenter.roeck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>     > wrote:
>     >
>     >     On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 11:47:47AM +0100, Martin Suchanek wrote:
>     >     > Hi,
>     >     >
>     >     > Add info:
>     >     > I have found software called open hardware monitor. I have been
>     testing
>     >     it
>     >     > in windows for couple of days and it works properly with Nuvoton
>     NST6776F
>     >     > chip. I have been comparing results with AI Suite software coming
>     from
>     >     ASUS
>     >     > and results are corresponding and measuring is with big precise. So
>     , you
>     >     > can have a look to source code and compare with your driver. This
>     >     software
>     >     > should work on linux as well but I did not try it yet but I will.
>     >     >
>     >     I finally had time to look into the open hardware monitor code.
>     >
>     >     The answer is quite simple - the board get the CPU temperature using
>     PECI,
>     >     which the w83627ehf/nct67765 driver reports is as "PECI Agent 0".
>     >     Open Hardware Monitor maps that temperature into the CPU temperature
>     >     display
>     >     and ignores CPUTIN. Which makes sense, since the purpose of PECI is
>     >     report
>     >     the CPU temperature.
>     >
>     >     So all you need to do is to ignore the value of CPUTIN and use the
>     "PECI
>     >     Agent 0"
>     >     temperature instead.
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     > I am now confused ?
>     > I do not know technical details but according to ASUS technical support
>     > CPUTIN is temperature of motherboard (not cpu socket , not cpu yourself )
>     > what exactly this temperature means ?
>     >
>     From looking into the OHM source, motherboard temperature is SYSTIN, not
>     CPUTIN.
>     Some but not all boards have AUXTIN connected as well. CPUTIN does not seem
>     to be used at all on ASUS boards as far as I can see.
>

> I am sorry but when I compare my AI Suite monitor (I attached picture) (- 60
> Celsius)  with psensor ( - 60 Celsius) => CPUTIN correspond with motherboard
> temperature and technical support saying the same thing (even if I have to
> admit that according to name convention it should be as you said). And AUXTIN
> has asus motherboard maximus iv extreme - psensor is showing 33.5 Celsius - no

Judging from the OHM source, it looks like some Asus boards have AUXTIN connected,
others don't. -60 degrees C suggests that there is nothing connected to the sensor pin.

> where did you get exactly those information about what is what ? Could you put
> some URL or documentation ?

Open Hardware Monitor source code, http://open-hardware-monitor.googlecode.com/svn.

I don't see CPUTIN on your screen shot. I only see "CPU" and "CPU socket", but I don't see
anything suggesting that those report the temperature as measured on the CPUTIN pin
of the NCT6776F. To know how the values reported by the AI suite map to board sensors,
it would be necessary to see its source code and/or configuration files.

Guenter