Re: ERROR: could not insert 'w83627ehf': Device or resource busy

On Wed, 2012-03-14 at 12:19 -0400, David Kremer wrote:
> On 14/03/2012 16:57, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> > First question is if the asus_atk0110 module detects your board. You
> > would see that with the "sensors" command, not with pwmconfig (the asus
> > driver does not support manual fan control, so pwmconfig will not work).
> >
> > Second question is if you actually_need_  manual fan control. The
> > automatic fan control implemented in NCT6776F is pretty good, and it
> > should be enabled by default. Do you have any problems with it ?
> >
> > If you do have problems with automatic fan control, the only remedy I
> > can see would be for someone to implement manual fan control in
> > asus_atk0110. Not sure if that is even possible, though.
> The asus_atk0110 module is loaded.
>
> We have exactly :
>
>   $ /usr/bin/sensors
>   coretemp-isa-0000
>   Adapter: ISA adapter
>   Physical id 0:  +36.0°C  (high = +82.0°C, crit = +102.0°C)
>   Core 0:         +33.0°C  (high = +82.0°C, crit = +102.0°C)
>   Core 1:         +32.0°C  (high = +82.0°C, crit = +102.0°C)
>
>   $

Looks like the asus_atk0110 driver does not detect your motherboard. Did
you try the latest upstream version of that driver ?

> I don't know if I *need* manual fan control, because I also have other
> important priority such as breathing, feeding and working :).

:-)

> However, I know that my fan is currently spinning at its max speed H24,
> a thing that I find annoying, and I think other people also like to have
> a fine pwm script tuning their cpu fan. The noise is a problem, and I am
> frustrated to be unable to use my ventirad I bought in the order to run
> a silent computer with its full potential. This is very noisy and I know
> that I could run under much better conditions.

Doesn't look like automatic fan control is enabled then.

> I am not sure what you are talking about when you invoke the automatic
> fan control of NCT6776F. Is it automatic in the linux kernel or in the
> motherboard, the bios code, or something else ?

The NCT chip supports it, and it works pretty well on my system (with
NCT6775F). It is enabled if pwmX_enable is set to 5 after you
force-loaded the w83627ehf module.

I am working on an enhanced version of the nct6775/nct6776 driver which
will let you configure automatic fan control. It is on github, so you
could give it a try if you like (https://github.com/groeck/nct6775).

Guenter