Re: IT8721F on Asus M5A88-V EVO

Le mardi 21 juin 2011 09:16:31, Jean Delvare a écrit :
> Your copy-and-paste method added a lot of trailing white space, making
> your post needlessly large and quoting difficult. Please clean up your
> post before sending next time.

Sure. Sorry for not noticing.

> This is indeed the driver you want to use on every recent Asus desktop
> board.

it87 driver has the advantage of exposing pwm controls in sysfs.

> It no longer matters, but the first 5 voltage labels are wrong. Not
> sure where you got them from. in2 is obviously Vcore and in3 matches
> +3.3V.

I noticed this too. Maybe this comes from a config I was trying to write for
this chip - I thought I moved it away & reconfigured sensors before posting.

> Looks wrong indeed, as it is set to 75°C, not 95°C. Is there a CPU
> temperature shutdown level that you can set as well? If so, to what
> value did you set it?

Actually, the "NorthBridge overheat protection" option is a simple
neable/disable switch on a different screen than sensors output & fan
settings.
I could not find any way to configure any temperature limit on CPU.

> What surprises me the most is that the it87 driver reported completely
> different limits, which means that these are software limits... The
> BIOS never wrote them to the chip (unless you screwed them up yourself
> with a libsensors configuration file?)

I don't think so: I could not find any settings for it8721 in either
/etc/sensors3.conf nor /etc/sensors.d/* . All I configured on this chip were
names & fan speed limit, and fan limits were not applied anymore in dumps I
pasted.

> I wonder how such software
> limits can be enforced. Maybe this only works on Windows with Asus
> proprietary software loaded. Or maybe the BIOS is polling the device
> periodically at run-time. Ugly in both cases.

No idea. So far, this motherboard didn't see windows.

--
Vincent Pelletier