Re: Fluctuating min/max/div causing alarms

On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 12:18:31 -0800, Dylan wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 12:11 PM, Jean Delvare <khali@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Never use native hwmon drivers together with IPMI. They access the same
> > device in a non-synchronized manner, resulting in reads from / write to
> > the wrong register. The problem your describe is most certainly caused
> > by this. If your system uses IPMI, don't load native hwmon drivers.
>
> Thanks for your quick response. Your idea of conflicting reads/writes sounds
> very plausible.
> So, with UNRAID I am no explicitly loading any hwmon drives or IPMI drivers.

You certainly do, as the w83627ehf driver (native hwmon driver) does
not load automatically. Most likely, you ran sensors-detect, and it
detected the chip and created a configuration file for you. As I am not
familiar with UNRAID, you'll have to figure out by yourself which
configuration file mentions the w83627ehf driver, and remove it. It's
certainly somewhere under /etc, so a brutal:
# grep -r w83627ehf /etc
might answer the question.

> Can you give me a pointer as to how I might resolve this conflict?

As you are apparently using IPMI on this machine, the best solution is
to not load the w83627ehf driver. Which unfortunately means no
integration with libsensors-based monitoring applications, but IPMI
support comes at this price for the time being.

> Is this an issue as how I've modified sensors3.conf or something more
> fundamental with kernel modules?

This is related to kernel modules, yes.

--
Jean Delvare