Re: Fluctuating min/max/div causing alarms

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 12:11 PM, Jean Delvare <khali@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Dylan,

On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 11:54:47 -0800, Dylan wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> I've done my best so far to solve my problems with information available but
> I've hit a rut and I'm hoping I can get help here.
>
> I have a SuperMicro X8SIL-F motherboard with a WinBond W8367DHG sensor chip.
> The CPU is an Intel Xeon X3440 running stock at 2.53GHz.
> I am running UNRAID v4.7 which is based on Slackware kernel 2.6.32
> This came with sensors v3.0.3 and libsensors v3.0.3.
>
> I have tweaked my sensors3.conf based on comparable systems as well as the
> thresholds specified via the boards IPMI interface.
>
> PROBLEM: Upon booting the sensors readout displays reasonable values and all
> the min/max values are as I set them. No ALARMs visible.
> Within hours (minutes?) various min/max values change causing the reasonable
> voltage/rpm/temp to now be out of range... resulting in ALARMs being raised.
>
> QUESTION: What is causing, say, the VBAT min value to suddenly change from
> my setting of +2.82V to 0V? Or the min RPM for HD FAN 2 to change from
> 400RPM to 0RPM?
>
> Simply executing "sensors -s" again changes the values back and clears the
> ALARMs, but this is not feasible to do this multiple times per day after
> confirming the ALARMs are false.

Never use native hwmon drivers together with IPMI. They access the same
device in a non-synchronized manner, resulting in reads from / write to
the wrong register. The problem your describe is most certainly caused
by this. If your system uses IPMI, don't load native hwmon drivers.

Thanks for your quick response. Your idea of conflicting reads/writes sounds very plausible.
So, with UNRAID I am no explicitly loading any hwmon drives or IPMI drivers. Can you give me a pointer as to how I might resolve this conflict?
Is this an issue as how I've modified sensors3.conf or something more fundamental with kernel modules?

Thanks!
Dylan Parker

> On a slight aside, I am unable to set the div values on my fans and the
> associated /sys/class/hwmon4/device/fanX_div files are read-only.

This is by driver design, the w83627ehf driver tries to be smart and to
pick the best clock divider value for you automatically.

--
Jean Delvare