Re: aftermarket PCI or ISA monitoring board?

On Sun, 9 Jan 2011 17:35:13 -0800, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 09, 2011 at 07:10:53PM -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> > Jean Delvare put forth on 1/9/2011 4:11 PM:
> >
> > > If soldering things is an option, then many recent boards have an SMBus
> > > header, so it would be possible to choose any supported SMBus-based
> > > hardware monitoring device and wire up everything manually.
> >
> Good point ...
>
> > The board in question is 10+ years old, but it does have a 5 pin SMBus header.
> > The board is the legendary Abit BP6.  Unfortunately the manual doesn't provide
> > the pin assignments for this SMBus connector, though it does for all the other
> > connectors.  Strange.
> >
> Of the five pins, one will be Ground, one will be VCC. There may be another ground
> or possibly alert, plus I2C data and clock.
>
> Should be easy to figure out Ground and VCC. That leaves three additional pins
> to play with, so it should be possible to find out what is what by trying.
>
> > Could you suggest a few inexpensive models of such lm-sensors compatible SMBus
> > based hardware monitoring devices containing, say, 1-3 thermal sensing circuits
> > (with probes/lead wires), and maybe a few non-PWM fan RPM sensing/driving circuits?
> >
> max6696 supports three sensors (one internal, two external). Besides the sensors,
> all I needed to wire the chip was one capacitor and one resistor, plus another
> capacitor for each of the external sensors. The datasheet has a nice sample picture.
> You might need additional resistors to set the chip's i2c address if you want to support
> more than one chip, plus a zener diode and another resistor to generate 3.3V if the board
> only provides 5V.
>
> Tricky part is that the chip is in uMAX or QSOP package with .5mm or .635mm pitch,
> so you'll need a good soldering iron and a calm hand to do the soldering, or find
> some HW guy to do it for you.
>
> Of course, you could simply buy MAX6695EVKIT. I don't know the price, but usually
> Maxim's evaluation board pricing is quite reasonable.

Other solutions include the Texas Instruments TMP421 (3 external
thermal sensors), National Semiconductor LM63 (1 external thermal
sensor + 1 fan monitoring input), all LM85-compatible chips (2 external
thermal sensors + 4 fan monitoring inputs, SMSC EMC2103 (3 external
thermal sensors + 1 fan monitoring input) and Analog Devices ADM1031 (2
external thermal sensors + 2 fan monitoring inputs.)

You can put more than one of each on the same SMBus segment.

> > Also, will lm-sensors and the sensors user space program work with two
> > monitoring chips simultaneously?

Yes, definitely. I'm doing that all the time.

> > Does anyone know if phpsysinfo will, or can
> > with additional tweaking, display data from both devices?

As far as I know, phpsysinfo merely parses the output of "sensors", so
there is no reason why it wouldn't work.

--
Jean Delvare