Re: aftermarket PCI or ISA monitoring board?

On Sun, Jan 09, 2011 at 06:44:08AM -0500, Jean Delvare wrote:
> Hi Stan,
>
> On Sat, 08 Jan 2011 12:18:53 -0600, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> > Please CC me as I'm not subscribed to the list.  I'd like to know if
> > there are any PCI or ISA boards designed for thermal monitoring on the
> > market that work with lm-sensors.  My Googling so far has been fruitless.
> >
> > Basically I'm looking for an (inexpensive, and by this I mean less than
> > the price of a consumer mobo) add in PCI/ISA card that will work with
> > lm-sensors, one that has thermistor wires one can attach to a north
> > bridge chip heatsink, hard drive, etc.  There are many examples on the
> > market of such thermal monitoring devices, but all I've seen simply
> > provide an LCD display and mount in a drive bay.  This may be fine for a
> > desktop PC, but I'm wanting to monitor some temps remotely, temps of
> > components not monitored by the motherboard monitoring chip.
>
> I don't know of any such board, sorry.

I think that will require two steps - interface to i2c first, then to sensors.
One could use something like Calibre PCI93LV/C (expensive) and write a driver
for it (if the vendor is willing to release the card specification), Quancom
PCIPROTO or similar, or use a USB-I2C interface card such as Diolan U2C-12.
Either would require some additional work to add actual sensors.
I use Diolan U2C-12 and made a little board with a max6696 using Schmartboard
test boards. That was quite straightforward.

Guenter