Re: powerX_alarm sysfs attribute

On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 03:17:20PM -0500, Jean Delvare wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 11:49:40 -0800, Guenter Roeck wrote:

> > > 1) (both a and b) is fine with me. 2) not so, as the _cap name gets
> > > confusing then.
> > >
> > > I don't think that _cap should have existed in the first place. Just
> > > because something happens when a limit is exceeded is no good reason to
> > > rename that limit to something else. But now that it's there, I guess
> > > it will be difficult to get rid of it.
> > >
> > The functionality is supported by some devices, though. The PMBus spec has a register
> > to set the power limit, and PMBus devices supporting it are expected to limit power
> > output if the cap is reached. This is in addition to a separate register, which sets the
> > power max alarm limit (and creates an alarm if that limit is exceeded). So I'll
> > have the need for both _cap and _max.
>
> Which basically means that _cap should have been named _crit. For
> example, it is fairly common for temperature sensors to take action
> (e.g. speeding up fans or throttling the CPU) when the critical limit
> is exceeded. But again, now that it's there, I guess we have to live
> with it :(

For PMBus, I have the following registers

Register		Attribute	Meaning
POWER_MAX		powerX_cap	Set enforced maximum power
POUT_OP_WARN_LIMIT	powerX_warn	Causes warning that output power is high
POUT_OP_FAULT_LIMIT	powerX_crit	Causes output overpower fault
					Response is configurable (none, shutdown, retry, disable)

At least in this respect, the meaning of "cap" is different to the meaning of "crit".

> As I read it, 1b) is a subset of 1a). 1b) is enough to fix the current
> wording, and 1a) can be done if some chips need it.

Agreed. PMBus devices have separate flags for all three conditions, so I think
I'll introduce powerX_cap_alarm, powerX_max_alarm, and powerX_crit_alarm.

Which reminds me - would it make sense to introduce attributes to be able to configure
a reaction to a critical condition ? That would be useful to have for PMBus devices,
and some other chips as well - for example, the smm665 also has a configurable reaction
to such conditions.

Guenter