Re: powerX_alarm sysfs attribute

On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 11:49:40 -0800, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 12:10:16PM -0500, Jean Delvare wrote:
> > On Thu, 9 Dec 2010 08:58:58 -0800, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> > > I see a number of options:
> > >
> > > 1) Introduce powerX_max as unenforced "max" attribute, in addition to powerX_cap.
> > >    1a) Introduce powerX_cap_alarm to reflect alarms associated with powerX_cap,
> > >        introduce powerX_max_alarm, and redefine the semantics of powerX_alarm
> > >        to include all possible alarms
> > >    1b) Redefine semantics of powerX_alarm to include all possible reasons for
> > >        power alarms.
> > >
> > > 2) Redefine the semantics of powerX_cap to include unenforced maximum power.
> > >    Redefine powerX_alarm to include all possible reasons for alarms.
> > >
> > > My preferred solution would be 1) with 1b), though 2) would be fine for me as well.
> > > Any thoughts / comments ?
> >
> > 1) (both a and b) is fine with me. 2) not so, as the _cap name gets
> > confusing then.
> >
> > I don't think that _cap should have existed in the first place. Just
> > because something happens when a limit is exceeded is no good reason to
> > rename that limit to something else. But now that it's there, I guess
> > it will be difficult to get rid of it.
> >
> The functionality is supported by some devices, though. The PMBus spec has a register
> to set the power limit, and PMBus devices supporting it are expected to limit power
> output if the cap is reached. This is in addition to a separate register, which sets the
> power max alarm limit (and creates an alarm if that limit is exceeded). So I'll
> have the need for both _cap and _max.

Which basically means that _cap should have been named _crit. For
example, it is fairly common for temperature sensors to take action
(e.g. speeding up fans or throttling the CPU) when the critical limit
is exceeded. But again, now that it's there, I guess we have to live
with it :(

> The RFC patch I sent out earlier uses approach 1b), though 1a) would probably be
> more consistent with other alarms. So maybe I should update the patch to use 1a) instead.

As I read it, 1b) is a subset of 1a). 1b) is enough to fix the current
wording, and 1a) can be done if some chips need it.

--
Jean Delvare