Re: looking for help with W83795ADG

Hi Karsten,

On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 13:56:07 +0200, karsten@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> hi lm-sensors team,
>
> first of all many thanks for all the efforts to support the latest hardware!
>
> Recently I acquired a brand new hp ProLiant N36L micro server.
> According to hp's data sheet, it contains a W83795ADG. I've installed
> ubuntu server 10.04.01 (2.6.32-25 as of now), and lm-sensors (3.1.2,
> from ubuntu repositories as far as I remember).
>
> sensors-detect did not identify anything readily useable, so I was

If sensors-detect didn't see the W83795ADG chip, this is the problem.

> happy to find http://khali.linux-fr.org/devel/misc/w83795/, linked
> from http://lm-sensors.org/wiki/Devices.
> To be honest, I wasn't so sure what I'd need to do with this - I
> downladed the files, did "make all" and "sudo make install" - all went
> fine, no errors, and I could find the w83795.ko file in
> /lib/modules/2.6.32-25-server/kernel/drivers/hwmon which appears
> correct to me.
> I also did "sudo modprobe w83795" (no error nor output), however
> running sensors still gives 'No sensors found!'

The w83795 driver uses the same detection mechanism used in
sensors-detect. So if sensors-detect doesn't see your chip, I am not
surprised that the driver didn't either.

> I guess I'm missing something really obvious (since I don't really
> know what I'm doing...), but don't know where to look..

The full output of sensors-detect is needed to diagnose your problem
further. It could be that your SMBus controller isn't supported, or
maybe you are supposed to access the chip through IPMI.

It is also possible that your documentation is incorrect and your
system doesn't actually have a W83795ADG chip.

--
Jean Delvare