Re: Lack of fan sensor output after Ubuntu upgrade

Hi Guenter,

On Mon, 13 Sep 2010 07:17:16 -0700, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 04:05:45AM -0400, Jean Delvare wrote:
> > > >
> > > You are right. IT8512E/F is a Super-IO chip from ITE, and it uses 0x8512 as chip ID.
> >
> > How do you know for sure? Do you have a datasheet? Once we're sure we
> > can identify the chip reliably, support should be added to
> > sensors-detect.
> >
> I was able to dig up a datasheet on the web, and checked the chip ID.
> The datasheet is at http://www.docin.com/p-4432074.html. The site is in Chinese (?),
> and the datasheet is not in pdf but displayed with flash, so it is a bit cumbersome
> to read.

Indeed not user-friendly, and quite possibly illegal.

> Chip ID is 0x8512 (registers 0x20 and 0x21), and chip version is 0x22 (register 0x22).
> Not sure if the version is correct, as it matches the register address, but that is
> what it says.
>
> I agree, it would make sense to add it to sensors-detect. I looked through the code,
> but wasn't entirely sure how to do that, since the NS chip IDs are all 8 bit.
> Can I just add an entry for chip ID 0x8512 ?

Yes, this should work. The code automatically figures out if there are
one or two device ID registers.

> Also, I don't know what to specify as logdev,
> since the sensors are all accessed through an embedded 8032 controller.

That's more of an issue. The point of listing a logical device is that
logical devices can be disabled, so it's a convenient way to figure out
whether the monitoring feature is used on a given system. If the
"embedded 8032 controller" corresponds to one logical device then
that's the one to test. If not, we may have to write custom code for
this device.

--
Jean Delvare