Lack of fan sensor output after Ubuntu upgrade

Hi all,

I admit to using beta software, and to the possibility that the issue is not in lm-sensors, but since I'm very interested in getting my issue fixed, I think this list is the right place to start at least.

I upgraded to Ubuntu 10.10 beta today, and the almost immediate result is that the fan has become noisy as hell.

I have a Dell XPS Studio 17 laptop, bought earlier this year. It has (among other things) an i7 Q820 processor.

I never ran sensors before the upgrade (didn't have any fan issues there), so I don't know if there's any actual differences in the output, but here goes.

Just running sensors give me:

acpitz-virtual-0

Adapter: Virtual device

temp1: +26.8°C (crit = +127.0°C)

temp2: +61.0°C (crit = +85.0°C)

Since I've little or no load on the CPU, I find the latter value unlikely high (but it seems to be dropping now so I'll guess I will see how it evolves). Anyway, I ran sensors-detect, and it found next to nothing apparently. I then downloaded the svn version, ran it, and it came to a different conclusion (doesn't Ubuntu beta 10.10 have a recent lm-sensors?):

I could/should install the coretemp module, and so I did. Now sensors gives me:

acpitz-virtual-0

Adapter: Virtual device

temp1: +26.8°C (crit = +127.0°C)

temp2: +57.0°C (crit = +85.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0000

Adapter: ISA adapter

Core 0: +57.0°C (high = +84.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0001

Adapter: ISA adapter

Core 1: +57.0°C (high = +84.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0002

Adapter: ISA adapter

Core 2: +58.0°C (high = +84.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0003

Adapter: ISA adapter

Core 3: +57.0°C (high = +84.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

No fan speeds though, and I'd expected such info from a laptop this expensive. Looking at sensors-detect again, I have this:

Probing for Super-I/O at 0x4e/0x4f

Trying family `National Semiconductor'... Yes

Found unknown chip with ID 0x8512

Is this something of interest?

As a side note, the fan turned itself down a notch now, but it is still more noisy than I'd expect it (I think).

Anyway, if anyone would like to help me with suggestions or similar as to what to look for/what to test, it would be much appreciated. If there is something I can do to help the lm-sensors project in this regard, I'll do my best.

Best regards,

Lars Ivar Igesund