Re: Lack of fan sensor output after Ubuntu upgrade

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 09:29:25AM -0400, Lars Ivar Igesund wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I admit to using beta software, and to the possibility that the issue is not in lm-sensors, but since I'm very interested in getting my issue fixed, I think this list is the right place to start at least.
>
> I upgraded to Ubuntu 10.10 beta today, and the almost immediate result is that the fan has become noisy as hell.
>
> I have a Dell XPS Studio 17 laptop, bought earlier this year. It has (among other things) an i7 Q820 processor.
>
> I never ran sensors before the upgrade (didn't have any fan issues there), so I don't know if there's any actual differences in the output, but here goes.

The kernel should leave fans running on auto-configuration if a specific chip is
unsupported.

It may simply be that your new kernel _is_ running hotter. There was a discussion
about such an issue on the kernel mailing list a few weeks ago. The fix should be
in the latest kernel. Maybe it isn't included in the Ubuntu 10.10 release yet.

> Just running sensors give me:
>
> acpitz-virtual-0
>
> Adapter: Virtual device
>
> temp1: +26.8°C (crit = +127.0°C)
>
> temp2: +61.0°C (crit = +85.0°C)
>
> Since I've little or no load on the CPU, I find the latter value unlikely high (but it seems to be dropping now so I'll guess I will see how it evolves). Anyway, I ran sensors-detect, and it found next to nothing apparently. I then downloaded the svn version, ran it, and it came to a different conclusion (doesn't Ubuntu beta 10.10 have a recent lm-sensors?):
>
> I could/should install the coretemp module, and so I did. Now sensors gives me:
>
> acpitz-virtual-0
>
> Adapter: Virtual device
>
> temp1: +26.8°C (crit = +127.0°C)
>
> temp2: +57.0°C (crit = +85.0°C)
>
> coretemp-isa-0000
>
> Adapter: ISA adapter
>
> Core 0: +57.0°C (high = +84.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
>
> coretemp-isa-0001
>
> Adapter: ISA adapter
>
> Core 1: +57.0°C (high = +84.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
>
> coretemp-isa-0002
>
> Adapter: ISA adapter
>
> Core 2: +58.0°C (high = +84.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
>
> coretemp-isa-0003
>
> Adapter: ISA adapter
>
> Core 3: +57.0°C (high = +84.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
>
> No fan speeds though, and I'd expected such info from a laptop this expensive. Looking at sensors-detect again, I have this:

I don't think laptop price has any correlation to chip support in the kernel.
I'd be happy to add that support for the chip in your laptop if someone provides
me with a chip datasheet and donates a laptop.

> Probing for Super-I/O at 0x4e/0x4f
>
> Trying family `National Semiconductor'... Yes
>
> Found unknown chip with ID 0x8512
>
> Is this something of interest?

Most likely this is a Nuvoton chip; they use chip id 0x85 for another chip.
Don't recall seeing this specific ID, though, or why it is identified
as National Semiconductor.

Guenter