Re: No temperature output with k10temp for AMD II X3 435

Hi Florian,

On Sun, 09 May 2010 22:19:11 +0200, Florian Schwade wrote:
> Hello,
> I have an AMD II X3 435 cpu. Sensors-detect successfully detects the
> k10temp module is needed.

There's something missing in your CPU name. Is is an "Athlon II X3" or
a "Phenom II X3"? I guess the former.

> Some south bridges, CPUs or memory controllers contain embedded sensors.
> Do you want to scan for them? This is totally safe. (YES/no): y
> Silicon Integrated Systems SIS5595...                       No
> VIA VT82C686 Integrated Sensors...                          No
> VIA VT8231 Integrated Sensors...                            No
> AMD K8 thermal sensors...                                   No
> AMD Family 10h thermal sensors...                           Success!
>      (driver `k10temp')
> AMD Family 11h thermal sensors...                           No
> Intel Core family thermal sensor...                         No
> Intel Atom thermal sensor...                                No
> Intel AMB FB-DIMM thermal sensor...                         No
> VIA C7 thermal sensor...                                    No
> VIA Nano thermal sensor...                                  No
>

> I also checked that it is loaded correctly.
>
> [florian@errorkiste ~]$ lsmod |grep k10temp
> k10temp                 2827  0
>
> If I run sensors to get the temperature the output is just:
>
> [florian@errorkiste ~]$ sensors
> k10temp-pci-00c3
> Adapter: PCI adapter
> temp1:       +21.0°C  (high = +70.0°C)
>
> 21°C is impossible to be the correct temperature. The BIOS reports my
> CPU running at something like 36°.

Maybe the BIOS applies an arbitrary offset, or they get the temperature
from an external sensor connected to a hardware monitoring device.

> The Kernel is: 2.6.33-ARCH
> lm-sensors version: lm_sensors 3.1.2-1
>
> I would appreciate any help. Thanks a lot!

Did you force driver loading? Embedded sensors are known to be
unreliable on the DR-BA, DR-B2, DR-B3, RB-C2 and HY-D0 revisions of the
family 10h CPU. The driver won't bind to such CPUs by default.

Maybe you have found one more unreliable revision. Please provide the
contents of /proc/cpuinfo for your CPU, as well as the socket format.
That being said, unreliability is essentially linked to the socket
format, so the detection code currently in the driver should work even
for future CPU models.

--
Jean Delvare
http://khali.linux-fr.org/wishlist.html