Re: ASUS CUSL2: sensors work with 2.6.30, don't with 2.6.33

Hi Roman,

On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 19:46:58 +0500, Roman Mamedov wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 15:25:39 +0100
> Luca Tettamanti <kronos.it@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > To revert to the old behaviour you can pass
> > "acpi_enforce_resources=lax" on the kernel command line, but I cannot
> > guarantee that it's a safe operation.
>
> Thanks, this helped. I wonder if similar situations could be detected and
> pointed at during sensors-detect. E.g. failures to load modules because of
> resource conflicts, if you see my earlier sensors-detect log, it is
> completely silent about being unable to insert the module because of the
> conflict (which is reported in dmesg only).

This is on my to-do list, but I have no idea how to implement it. The
problem is that the list of ACPI-reserved resources is not exposed to
user-space, contrary to the standard I/O port requests (which show
in /proc/ioports). This prevents sensors-detect from warning the user.

So we would need either ACPI to export its resource list to user-space,
or a helper kernel driver basically exposing the ACPI resource tester
function to user-space. I don't know what the ACPI people will find
acceptable.

Luca, do you have any idea on the matter? Maybe I am overlooking a more
elegant or simple solution...

--
Jean Delvare