Re: Creating alarm for fans

Jean Delvare wrote:
> Hi Karl,
>

> Alarms are computed by the chips in hardware. "sensors" merely reports
> what the driver tells it to, and the driver in turn merely reports the
> hardware state.

Let me make sure I have this correct - lm-sensor would then have to put a value
into a register in the hardware-sensor-chip and then the chip creates the alarm?

> It is interesting that you have two full-featured hardware monitoring
> chips in your system. I'm rather surprised, I admit.

I'm wondering if it is really just one chip - I tried commenting out one at a time to see if somehow
appearing twice was the problem. I think it may be a host image due to incomplete hard ware encoding.

This is a Tyan S2865

In case there is something being misidentified I have the spec sheet link here:

ftp://ftp.tyan.com/datasheets/d_s2865_100.pdf

The lm-config from tyan has:

#To your etc/modules.conf file, add the lines:
# 	alias char-major-89 i2c-dev
#
# To your /etc/rc.xxx files, add the lines:
# 	modprobe i2c-nforce2
# 	modprobe lm85 force_emc6d100=0,0x2e
# sensors -s #
# Edited by: Raphael Deng <raphaeld@xxxxxxxx> 03.28.05
#
# As LM-Sensors not support the SMSC DME1737 Chip, I use the SMSC
# EMC6D100 chip to instead of it and the sensor 3.3V StandBy and
# Battery Volt cannot be monitored.

They then use
chip "emc6d100-*"

But this was from 2005.. I don't think it is right for todays version??

Karl Schmidt                                  EMail Karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Transtronics, Inc.                              WEB http://xtronics.com
3209 West 9th Street                             Ph (785) 841-3089
Lawrence, KS 66049                              FAX (785) 841-0434

I can live for two months on a good compliment. -- Mark Twain