D201GLY2 Ubuntu 7.10 fan control

Kernel version is 2.6.22-14

The 3.0.1 script gets further but comes up with the same result (full output
below):
hwmon0/device/pwm1_enable stuck to 2

I know that the fan speed can be controlled manually under Windows.
Thanks if there is anything else to try.

Found the following devices:
   hwmon0/device is w83627dhg

Found the following PWM controls:
   hwmon0/device/pwm1
hwmon0/device/pwm1 is currently setup for automatic speed control.
In general, automatic mode is preferred over manual mode, as
it is more efficient and it reacts faster. Are you sure that
you want to setup this output for manual control? (n) y
0
1
hwmon0/device/pwm1_enable stuck to 2
Manual control mode not supported, skipping hwmon0/device/pwm1.
   hwmon0/device/pwm2
hwmon0/device/pwm2 stuck to 0
Manual control mode not supported, skipping hwmon0/device/pwm2.
   hwmon0/device/pwm3
hwmon0/device/pwm3 stuck to 0
Manual control mode not supported, skipping hwmon0/device/pwm3.
   hwmon0/device/pwm4
hwmon0/device/pwm4 stuck to 0
Manual control mode not supported, skipping hwmon0/device/pwm4.
There are no usable PWM outputs.