w83627dhg chip - stopping fan rotation?

Hi Casper,

Please CC the list too.

Casper Gripenberg napsal(a):

> Hi,
>
> I'm kind of stuck with this fan problem, and I was wondering
> if anyone of you might know what the problem is, or where or
> how I could troubleshoot it further:
>
> I have an ASUS P5B-V mb with a W83627DHG chip. My lsmod
> says:
>
> w83627ehf              19984  0
> i2c_isa                 5248  1 w83627ehf
> i2c_core               26112  2 w83627ehf,i2c_isa
>
> I'm trying to stop the chassis fan, or actually any
> fan connected to the motheboard without much success.
> I tried to read the docs you wrote which say to write
> 0 into pwm[1-4] to get the fans to stop.
>
> So I do this:
>
>  > cd /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/device
>  > ls fan* pwm*
> fan1_alarm  fan3_input       pwm1_stop_time   pwm3
> fan1_div    fan3_min         pwm1_target      pwm3_enable
> fan1_input  fan5_alarm       pwm1_tolerance   pwm3_min_output
> fan1_min    fan5_div         pwm2             pwm3_mode
> fan2_alarm  fan5_input       pwm2_enable      pwm3_stop_time
> fan2_div    fan5_min         pwm2_min_output  pwm3_target
> fan2_input  pwm1             pwm2_mode        pwm3_tolerance
> fan2_min    pwm1_enable      pwm2_stop_time
> fan3_alarm  pwm1_min_output  pwm2_target
> fan3_div    pwm1_mode        pwm2_tolerance
>  > cat fan2_input
> 1132
>
> The speed looks correct. I have a large slow fan. Next:
>
>  > echo 0 > pwm1
>  > echo 0 > pwm2
>  > echo 0 > pwm3
>  > cat pwm1 pwm2 pwm3
> 0
> 0
> 0
>
> But the fans just keep on spinning. Why? Did I do something
> wrong or any ideas why I can't stop the fans? Can I somehow
> troubleshoot this further?

Perhaps you have still some kind of automatic mode maybe. What does
cat pwm?_enable print?

echo 1 > pwm1_enable will switch it to manual mode.

You need to set there manual mode first. Imho you can try first with pwmconfig
script which is doing that for you. Addtitionally you may check documentation
for the chip in kernel Documentation/hwmon/w83627ehf

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=blob;f=Documentation/hwmon/w83627ehf;h=ccc2bcb610686aaf44a0d38c5f67db44e8985e82;hb=HEAD

Going for a holiday now, hope others will answer. Oh yeah I have written it for
third time now ;)

Rudolf