w83627dhg chip - stopping fan rotation?

Rudolf Marek wrote:
> Perhaps you have still some kind of automatic mode maybe. What does
> cat pwm?_enable print?

If I enable Asus Q-Fan (automatic fan control) from the
BIOS then pwm?_enable prints 2. If I disable it then it
prints 1.

> echo 1 > pwm1_enable will switch it to manual mode.

Ok. I tried this both with automatic control enabled in
the BIOS and disabled. And then I tried again to echo
0 into pwm[1-4] with either mode. Nothing :(

> You need to set there manual mode first. Imho you can try first with
> pwmconfig script which is doing that for you. Addtitionally you may
> check documentation for the chip in kernel Documentation/hwmon/w83627ehf
>
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=blob;f=Documentation/hwmon/w83627ehf;h=ccc2bcb610686aaf44a0d38c5f67db44e8985e82;hb=HEAD

Thanks for the link. Seems the one that comes with my distro
(Ubuntu 7.10) was a bit outdated.

I also have files called pwm?_mode, which are not explained
in the docs. I'm guessing these set either DC or pulse control
of the fan output. I tried modifying the values here too (either
0 or 1 was accepted). Didn't help either :-/

Anything else I could try?

Thanks.

Casper

Btw. with ASUS Q-Fan enabled the fans do spin down, so at
least the Q-Fan thing is working. But manual control not..