What to use as prefix for TI TMP401 IC, ti_tmp401 or just tmp401?

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 13:55:45 +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Jean Delvare wrote:
> > Did you check first if the TMP401 was compatible with another device we
> > already support? After a quick look, the register map reminds me those
> > of the LM90/ADM1032 a lot. It would be worth checking that the TMP401
> > device couldn't be supported by the lm90 driver by just adding the
> > device and manufacturer ID...
>
> I did, its indeed like the lm90, except that the local (on chip) temp sensor
> registers all are 16 bits (split in a low and high reg) insetad of the 8 bits
> of the lm90, which esp with all the special cases already in lm90.c seems like
> enough of a divergence to me to warrant a new driver.

Good point, I agree that a separate driver is fine in this case. You
might still be able to copy-n-paste a good load of code from the lm90
driver, as it is state-of-the-art when it comes to dynamic sysfs
callbacks, individual alarm files, etc.

> > Also, I suggest that you add detection for the TMP401 to sensors-detect
> > right away. That's the best way to find early testers for your work.
>
> Will do.

Thank you. Other than a misplaced parenthesis in a comment, it looks OK
to me. Can you please also add an entry in the Devices table on the
wiki, so that everybody can follow your progress?

--
Jean Delvare