What to use as prefix for TI TMP401 IC, ti_tmp401 or just tmp401?

Hi Hans,

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 15:24:06 +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Jean Delvare wrote:
> > Also, I suggest that you add detection for the TMP401 to sensors-detect
> > right away. That's the best way to find early testers for your work.
>
> Done. (not tested I don't have access to the actual hardware at this moment).

In this kind of situation, I can only recommend using Mark Hoffman's
i2c-stub driver. It allows emulating one or more I2C/SMBus chips from
dumps. It works as follows:

* On the machine with the chip, use i2cdump to dump the registers of
the chip:

i2cdump -y 0 0x4c b > tmp401.dump

* On your own workstation, build the i2c-stub driver
(CONFIG_I2C_STUB=m) and load it. You must pass the chip address as a
parameter, so that the driver will emulate a chip at this specific
address:

modprobe i2c-stub chip_addr=0x4c

* Program the emulated chip from the dump. Get my helper script from:

http://jdelvare.pck.nerim.net/sensors/stub-from-dump.pl

Run that script on the dump and it will generate a shell script to
program the emulated chip:

./stub-from-dump.pl tmp401.dump > set_tmp401.sh

Then as root, run the script in question:

sh set_tmp401.sh 6 0x4c

Adjust the bus number so that it matches those of i2c-stub, check with
i2cdetect -l. The script simply runs i2cset for each register.

At this point you have an emulated chip to play with. It will let you
test sensors-detect, device detection at driver load, the sysfs
interface, etc.

Limitations:
* Driver must only use byte register access. i2c-stub supports word
  access by my script doesn't (yet).
* Device must not have banks (as Winbond devices do).
* You can't test alarms this way, obviously.

Beware that i2c-stub is very verbose and will flood your logs. This
might help a lot when debugging the driver though.

If this proves useful, I should probably cleanup stub-from-dump.pl and
include it in i2c-tools so that others can benefit.

--
Jean Delvare