intel 7501wv2 server board

Hi Ryan,

> > On 8/21/07, RYAN M. vAN GINNEKEN <luck at computerking.ca> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello i have the intel 7501wv2 serverboard and i am running CentOS 5
> > like so
> > > also i have 533 dual xeons in this board and read some stuff on the
> > wiki
> > > about cpu sensors and using xeontemp not to clear on most of what i
> > need to
> > > do.
> > >
> > > Linux canmail.org 2.6.18-8.1.8.el5 #1 SMP Tue Jul 10 06:50:22 EDT
> > 2007 i686
> > > i686 i386 GNU/Linux
> > >
> > > Below the output of the lm-sensors detection wizard i downloaded the
> > newest
> > > one.  I have tried to load the modules recommended at the end of the
> > wizard
> > > and i get this.
> > >
> > > [root at canmail /]# /sbin/modprobe ipmi-si
> > > [root at canmail /]# /sbin/modprobe ipmisensors
> > > FATAL: Module ipmisensors not found.
> >
> > ipmisensors is not part of the kernel or distribution. You need to
> > get
> > it from http://bmcsensors-26.sourceforge.net/ and compile it against
> > your running kernel.
> >
> > ...juerg
> >
> YIKES i have to recompile the kernel this may sound newbish and it is newbish.
> This will be my first time compiling a kernel with REDHAT or CENTOS.  Do not get
> me wrong i have compiled custom kernels and even done some make worlds just
> not with redhat.  I have about 10 years experience with FreeBSD but this will be my
> first attempt at compiling a kernel on linux.
>
> Could you please give me a point in the right direction for this endeavor. There
> seems to be all kinds of docs scattered about the inet on how to do this and
> millions of rpms of prebuild kernels or somethings like that.  FreeBSD has an
> online handbook on thier website that devotes a couple of chapters to building a
> custom kernel and is the only place i go when i need to have 100% trust in the
> docs.  However I have not found such a place for CENTOS yet.
>
> Basically i am asking  you to hold my hand for my first kernel compile in  CENTOS
> because i do not want to break things hee hee.

No, you don't need to recompile the kernel. I believe it's sufficient
to patch and recompile the ipmi_msghandler module (which is part of
the kernel) and the ipmisensors module. Both modules need to be
compiled against your running kernel so that the module and kernel
versions match.

I'm not a CentOS/RedHat expert so I'm not a big help here. This is
actually one reason why I stay away from these distributions. In
general you need to install the source (and all RedHat patches) for
the kernel you're running, patch it with the ipmisensors patch and
recompile the ipmi_msg_handler and ipmisensors module.

I'd start looking at the srpm package for your kernel. Maybe others on
the list can help you with these CentOS specific questions. Otherwise,
google is your friend...

...juerg