question about dyn chip support generic temp print function

On 6/18/07, Hans de Goede <j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As said already I'm working on the fintek 71882 driver, I've currently given it
> a tempX_input tempX_max tempX_max_hyst and a tempX_crit, with the current dyn
> chip + generic print support this results in:
> CPU:            +38.0?C  (high = +80.0?C, hyst =  +4.0?C)  sensor = transistor
> temp1_crit:     +81.0?C
>
> This is because currently for max + hyst chips the first line gets printed, and
> then for chips which have a crit to a sensors_get_label_and_valid is done on
> the sensors_feature_data describing tempX_crit. Wouldn't it be better to reuse
> the main temp label and value, resulting in:
> CPU:            +38.0?C  (high = +80.0?C, hyst =  +4.0?C)  sensor = transistor
> CPU:            +38.0?C  (crit = +81.0?C)
>
> Maybe change the label into all whitespace / "CPU (continued)"? The current
> printout seems very wrong, but my suggested one doesn't feel right either.

Hmm... Neither looks right to me. I can see user comments/bug reports
flying in...
Isn't there a way to make the print routine collect all the data and
print in on a single line?

And our sysfs standard defines hyst to be an absolute value, not relative.

> Also as already "explained" in my previous question, this chip has one
> hysteresis for both max and crit, now to make the current code work I would
> need to put that twice into sysfs, which would result in to both changing if
> one gets written (I can make only one rw to make this obvious).

That should be OK. I did something similar in the vt1211 where a
single register was exported twice and one of the attributes was
read-only.

...juerg