Proposal /sys/bus/class/hwmon/hwmon#/device/foo#_label

Am Sonntag 08 April 2007 19:36 schrieb Hans de Goede:
> Hans-J?rgen Koch wrote:
> > Am Sonntag 08 April 2007 15:51 schrieb Hans de Goede:
> >> The abituguru3 has a register which contains a motherboard ID. The
> >> current driver uses this ID, to look up info about the motherboard in a
> >> somewhat lenght table in the driver.
> >
> > Can you elaborate your design decision a bit? My first idea would be to
> > have a sysfs file that delivers that motherboard ID and then do the
> > lookup in user space.
>
> As I don't want the abituguru3 driver to create entries in sysfs for
> sensors which aren't there, and as without the table in the driver I cannot
> be sure wether to create an in / temp / fan device for a given sensor
> address.

Good point. Anyway, most sensor drivers have no way of knowing which of their
inputs are actually used. The LM93 driver I'm currently working on is a
monster that creates about 160 (!) sysfs files. I don't find it easy to
judge what's worse, having a few unused sysfs files or a large table in
kernel space.

> Last but not least doing things this way allows me to always give
> a proper reading without userspace needing to "guess" any further
> nescesarry calculations to get from the reading to an actual measurement.

I agree that this is convenient, especially when reading sysfs values e.g.
from a script (without a library that could do table lookups). This is
probably a strong argument in favor of your table solution.

Thanks,
Hans