asb_100 sensor location in /sys heirarchy changes on

On 06 Apr 2007 13:21:59 -0400, jk wrote:
> I am then surprised that many more people are not having this
> problem. It would seem then that this "race condition" would apply to
> anybody who had more than one i2c bus.

Let me guess, your kernel is compiled with
CONFIG_PCI_MULTITHREAD_PROBE=y?

> Perhaps though there are not many people who are using sensord/rrd
> though... (however, if you are and set up the crontab as recommended
> then you will get cron email errors mailed to you every 5 minutes :)

First of all, the right way to look for hardware monitoring devices
on a reasonably recent Linux 2.6 kernel is through /sys/class/hwmon.
Historically, tools have been assuming that hardware monitoring devices
were always presented as I2C devices and looked for them
in /sys/bus/i2c/devices, but this is no longer correct. Granted though,
libsensors still identifies i2c devices using their i2c device names
internally. Maybe we'll need to change that someday. That being said,
it moves the problem more than it solves it, when more than one
hardware monitoring device is present on a system (which becomes more
frequent these days.)

Secondly, libsensors supports consistent i2c bus numbering for years,
for specific-device configuration sections. See the "BUS STATEMENT"
section in sensors.conf(5).

This doesn't cover all cases, but these are things to keep in mind when
facing device naming issues.

--
Jean Delvare