Motherboard-specific configurations (sensors4mobo)

Hi Ivo,

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 14:07:18 +0200, Ivo Manca wrote:
> >> We were thinking about using the following:
> >> system-manufacturer
> >> system-product-name
> >> system-version
> >> system-serial-number
> >> baseboard-manufacturer
> >> baseboard-product-name
> >> baseboard-version
> >>
> >> It seems like these 6 fields covers all motherboards. Sending/storing the
> >> serial number might also be a privacy issue.
>
> > Good point.
> >
> > Do you require an exact match on all 7 parameters or do you cherry-pick
> > the minimum that identify a motherboard?
>
> Oops, system-serial-number didn't need to be in that list, making it 6
> fields instead of 7. I was just copy/pasting ;)
> Anyway, we do need all the 6 to match. It might be true that some fields

I believe that non-matching version numbers should not be fatal. It
sometimes happen that different versions of a board need different
configuration files, true, but it's rather rare, so we don't want to
store one configuration file per version in general, that would be
overkill; we'll only do so when really needed.

So I think we should try to match all 6 fields first, if it fails, try
without the versions (so only 4 fields), and only if that fails too,
declare that no matching configuration file was found.

--
Jean Delvare