libsensors patches

On Sun, Mar 11, 2007 at 08:23:25PM +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Mark M. Hoffman wrote:
> > Hi Hans:
> >

> <discussion about 3.0 versus increments snipped>
>

> > I don't agree.  I think the sum of changes we are planning does warrant the
> > move to 3.0.  It will be easier than the alternative, e.g.:
> >
> > 	2.10.4 - drop support for 2.4.x proc file access
> > 	2.10.5 - new API function
> > 	2.10.6 - include command in config file
> >

> Okay, first of all this is me with my lmsensors-contributers hat firmly
> off and my packager maintaining over a 100 packages in Fedora hat firmly on:
>
> Lets try to split 2 things here, doing a 3.0 release to indicate some
> kinda milestone and breaking the ABI.

If /proc support gets dropped then it already breaks the ABI, since
the ABI is not only about talking to the shared lib, but also to other
interfaces as well.

If you still keep half the ABI in place by not touching API and soname
of the lib, dependent projects will not notice the loss of /proc
support until runtime.

So it looks like breaking the ABI "on purpose" might be just OK. The
question is whether libsensors.so.3 and libsensors.so.4 would
peacefully coexist on a non-packaging level to allow for a smooth
transition.

On a packaging level one or both could be packaged into a subpackage
libsensors<major> to allow co-existance. Works well under both rpm and
deb worlds.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net