libsensors patches

Hi Hans:

* Hans de Goede <j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl> [2007-03-11 18:13:05 +0100]:
> Why? I understand this may be an improvement speed-wise, but libsensors
> is afaik not really speed critical. To me (as a packager of a distro
> maintaining over a 100 packages) this is needless ABI breakage and as a
> packager I strongly dislike that. Breaking ABI is not something that
> should be done lightly and thus is in this case not warrented IMHO.

Speed is the concrete improvement... but it's also an aesthetic improvement.

And... is this really much different than extending the API from a packaging
standpoint?  If the program uses the new library function, then the new library
is obviously required.  Once you move forward, you can't move back.

The 'include' functionality comes into play also.  Existing libsensors will
break if they find an include line.  It seems this would warrant a new major
rev number anyway... so I thought I may as well 'fix' the other stuff.

Plus there is the issue of killing all 2.4.x kernel support.  I guess, no one
change here warrants the move to 3.0 all by itself.  But when you add them up,
I think it will be *easier* for distro people to accomodate this in one chunk
than to spread it out over the next 3 minor revisions.

> > However, I do appreciate that a true redesign may be warranted.  If you
> > want to tackle this, please don't let me hold you back.  The sensors
> > project has always been very liberal about SVN access and contributors,
> > because we haven't had the luxury of having many contributors with lots of
> > time.
> >

> As said the API is not all it could be, but it works, accept for adding
> something to get the type of a feature I think it will do for now.
>
> > If people with more time and/or energy come along, I don't want to stand in
> > the way just because I've been around longer.  I can also tell you that
> > Jean feels the same way (we're both on #linux-sensors as I write this.)
> >
> > So how about this: you get SVN access, and get these patches committed to a
> > feature branch (as I did some time ago for the scanner).  If everything's
> > ready before 2.10.4, *you* can merge them back to the main line.  If it
> > turns out you decide to go in a different direction (destabilize the
> > API/ABI or whatever) then you're already on a branch so it's no big deal.
> >

> Sounds like a good plan to me. My preferred user name is jwrdegoede. Do
> you want a public ssh-key? I can pgp sign the mail with the key with a
> long registered pgp-key if you want.

(I will reply to this in private.)

> > Meanwhile, I'll work on the remainder of the 3.0 material on the branch I
> > already have open, as I have time.  If it turns out that you want to do a
> > complete API/ABI redesign, I can always abandon that part of the 3.0 branch.
> >

> As said I've no plans to redo the ABI, my point is more that as long as
> we don't redesign it I see no reason for a 3.0 .

I don't agree.  I think the sum of changes we are planning does warrant the
move to 3.0.  It will be easier than the alternative, e.g.:

	2.10.4 - drop support for 2.4.x proc file access
	2.10.5 - new API function
	2.10.6 - include command in config file

Regards,

--