libsensors patches

Mark M. Hoffman wrote:
> Hi Hans:

<discussion about 3.0 versus increments snipped>

> I don't agree.  I think the sum of changes we are planning does warrant the
> move to 3.0.  It will be easier than the alternative, e.g.:
>
> 	2.10.4 - drop support for 2.4.x proc file access
> 	2.10.5 - new API function
> 	2.10.6 - include command in config file

Okay, first of all this is me with my lmsensors-contributers hat firmly
off and my packager maintaining over a 100 packages in Fedora hat firmly on:

Lets try to split 2 things here, doing a 3.0 release to indicate some
kinda milestone and breaking the ABI.

I've got nothing against putting some big changes (esp dropping 2.4
support) in a 3.0 release. However unless it really is necessary I'm
against breaking the ABI.

Adding a function does not break any old applications and thus is not a
problem, most distributions work with repositories of packages, whereby
new packages for a repo get build against other packages already in the
same repo. Thus before any new package in such a repo can use the new
API functions, libsensors must be updated first. Then applications may
start using the new function after being (re)build against the repo with
the new libsensors in it.

Normal users use some update tool which will automaticly install all new
packages including the new libsensors + any apps needing the new version.

Now one can do so called piecemeal upgrades manually but that is asking
for trouble and usually voids your support if any. One of the great
successes of gtk2 actually is that every new release is ABI compatible
with the old, so old apps stay working.

Also keep in mind that besides package-manager installed apps a user may
also have manually installed apps. When the package manager then updates
a library to a new not ABI compatible (and thus hopefully a different
soname) version, these manually installed apps will break.

In short soname changes / ABI breakage cause both user and packager pain
and inconvenience. Thus if it isn't really necessary / there is little
gain, as with the by const reference versus by value change you propose,
then you should not break the ABI and thus keep the soname.

Regards,

Hans