CPU temperature(s) of Conroe

Hi, Rudolf,

I have tried to follow your instructions but since I am quite a linux
novice I have some problems as indicated below.

Rudolf Marek wrote:

> Hello Ulrich,
>
>> I have an ASUS P5B-VM with an E6600 and would like to monitor the CPU
>> temperatures. Sensors-detect only finds an LM78 chip which has only one
>> temparature sensor. The temperature shown by sensors is obviously the
>> Mobo-temperature (same as in BIOS).
>

> The LM-78 is a misdetection. Please try latest sensors-detect (check
> the devices page on our web)
>
> I bet you have W83627DHG, you will need a patch for this chip. Here is
> preliminary patch:
>
> http://lists.lm-sensors.org/pipermail/lm-sensors/attachments/20060906/b139bc4d/attachment-0001.obj

I have downloaded this patch. I understand that this is a C program. But
I don't know where to put it and what to do with it. Could you please
give me guidance?

>> I have read that Conroes possess integrated
>> read out directly from CPU registers.
>> a) Is this correct?
>

> Yes
>
>> b) Is this implemented in lm-sensors?
>

> Yes but not yet in kernel. You will need latest SVN snapshot of
> lm-sensors (make user_install)

I downloaded the last SVN (2006/11/18), extracted, make user, make
user_install. So far everything worked fine. Then I ran sensors-detect.
It was revision 1.413 (2006/01/19) which I suspect not being the most
recent one. It again only found the LM78 (because of the missing patches?).
Do I have to uninstall the previous version of lm-sensors before
installing the new version?

> and also this set of patches:
> http://lists.lm-sensors.org/pipermail/lm-sensors/2006-October/018100.html
>
> (some of the patch files are posted TWICE, please use the latest
> version - click on mail thread to check what is latest)

I think you mean this patch:
http://lists.lm-sensors.org/pipermail/lm-sensors/attachments/20061017/759c6d1b/attachment-0001.bin

The same problem for me as before: I downloaded the file, recognized it
as a C program, but don't know how to proceed.

>> c) If yes, what do I have to do to get sensors show the CPU
>> temperatures of the
>> two cores?
>

> CHeck above. You will have more than one sensor ;)
>
>> Thank you for reply. If you need further info, please let me know.
>

> Please let me know if it works OK, and David too.
>
> Regards
> Rudolf

Some information on my system in case it meght help:
ASUS P5B-VM
E6600
2 GB DDR2-667 CL4
SUSE 10.1