i2c-i801 on Intel Server Board se7525gp2?

Nick Ellson wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
> It is my own Kernel in the sense that with Gentoo the install process
> I need to pick the features that match my system. The SMP stuff and
> drive controllers, network, the basics.
>
> I do not add any odd patches to my kernel.

I was thinking more of the possible mis-*configuration* of the build,
which is less likely for a 'distro' build than yours or mine.
 From what youve said, it sounds like you selected one of the prebuilt
kernels.

I guess Im still dwelling on whether /sys exists or not, which you didnt
respond to.
If /sys isnt there, for whatever reason, no sensors will work, no matter
the chip.

That said, it might not matter, given what youve found about the chip.

What, if anything, does the BIOS tell you about sensors, etc.
What does the kernels ACPI tell you ?
Given that Intel was one of 2 or 3 players in ACPI development,
it would be worth a look into /proc/acpi/*

> And yep, I bought two systems at the same time so that they would be
> identical so I could try software on one and work out the kinks before
> messing with my E-mail/DNS box.
>
> What I have learned is that the E7525 chipset is known to not report
> any sensors. While I would love that not to be true, I have found no
> evidence that they can be read by lm-sensors. Intel's sensor
> observation drivers are for RedHat only as far as Linux goes, so I am
> not sure if they will work under Gentoo.

'Redhat *only*'  is more likely to be a 'certification' issue than a
'just wont run' problem.