sensors work but broke the network and sound

Hi

I configured the sensors, now they're working great, but I haven't got network and sound !!!! My sound card is realtek ac97 and the ethernet card is Intel 3Com. I didn't do anything different from typing sensors-detect and then editing /etc/modules.conf and /etc/rc.d/rc.modules as shown in the examples ! Have you got any suggestions how could I repair it ?? Please help!